Flight of Fantasy

Scribblings from my life past and present.

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Transvaal

Our winter is short and savagely
cold -
eating into my bones 
exposing me to the elements -
like a vulture
picking off the last sinew 
from 
bones bleached white
under the Kruger sun.

Summers are hot and sweaty.
We wear 'beach tongs' on this piece
of parched land -
a thousand miles from the
beach sands.

But 

the evenings have won my heart
and made me part -
of this land of my ancestors.

The sun sets fast behind the
blackening
bush horizon -
and we settle down in the
orange semi-light
to discuss the day.

A restfulness, unique to Africa
settles over us,
Birds russel the branches,
settling down in the warm
fast approaching 
night.

Crickets rear their heads
singing to the setting sun
competing with the 
ever present
Christmas beetle.

The dog, stretches and yawns -
wakening refreshed after the hot day
ready to add his voice to those of
the night.

And I, I mediate on what has been.
I meditate on things not seen
and people never met.

I miss the Cape, and its cool stretches
but
this is my home now -
Transvaal, bushveld land.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home